Plants that Can for those who think they Can't!
The Award of Garden Merit (AGM) is a mark of quality awarded, since 1922, to garden plants by the British Royal Horticultural Society (RHS). Awards are made annually after plant trials intended to judge the plants' performance. Trials may last for one or more years, depending on the type of plant being trialled, and may be performed at RHS Garden, Wisley, other RHS gardens or after observation of plants in specialist collections.
The RHS AGM is awarded only to plants that meet the following criteria:
- Outstanding excellence for ordinary garden decoration or use
- Available for general purchase
- Good constitution
- Do not require highly specialist growing conditions or care
- Are not particularly susceptible to any pest or disease
- Are not be subject to an unreasonable degree of reversion in its vegetative or floral characteristics
Though growing conditions and plant types may vary, the purpose of the award is always the same: to highlight the best plants available to the home gardener. Check out these Award of Garden Merit recipients: